Monday, December 27, 2010

Sausage and Mushroom Quiche

I based this recipe on a quiche in Southern Sideboards, but most of it is just what I came up with on my own.


2 {9 1/2"} deep dish pie shells, partially cooked {follow directions on packaging}
2 lbs ground sausage, browned and drained
1 small onion, finely chopped
8 or 12 oz sliced mushrooms {I use 12 oz because that is the size container of the pre-washed mushrooms at my grocery, but I think 8 oz would probably be better to help the quiche from being too full}
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 cups half and half
6 eggs plus 2 egg yolks, beaten well
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 lb - 3/4 lb grated cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper


Prepare pie shells. Brown and drain sausage and set aside. Saute onions, garlic, and mushrooms in a little butter. Mix with half and half, eggs, and whipping cream. Add seasonings and fold in cooked sausage and cheese. Pour mixture into pie shells and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes {or I sometimes freeze one to eat later} or until a knife inserted comes out clean. 


{Sometimes there is too much liquid to fit in the shells without spilling over, so I end up pouring some out.}

2 comments:

Brooke Maedel said...

Does Curran like quiche? I never pour out my leftover quiche mixture, I just put it in a few buttered/sprayed ramekins or small dishes and either me or M eats those. He loves quiche so I make it all the time. It freezes great. Sounds yummy!

Mary Louis Quinn said...

C does like quiche. I hadn't thought to put the extra in a ramekin...good idea!