Chicken and Corn Chowder:
I know it doesn't look super appetizing in this picture. :)
2 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery {I use green onions instead because I don't really like celery.}
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
2 Tbsp all purpose flour
3 cups 2% reduced fat milk {I just use skim and it works fine.}
2 cups chopped skinless, boneless chicken breasts {about 2 breast halves} {I buy a whole, already roasted chicken from the grocery store and pull the meat off the bone.}
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels {about 3 ears} {I just use 1 can of corn, drained.}
1 {14.5 oz} can cream-style corn
1 tsp chopped fresh or 1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1/8 tsp salt
{and I add freshly ground black pepper as well}
Melt butter in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and jalapeno; cook for 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in milk and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and cook until thick, about 5 minutes.
Serves 6 {1 cup per serving}
Recipe from Cooking Light
No comments:
Post a Comment