Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

I'm not a big casserole person. In fact, this is the only one I cook. Our neighbors brought us something similar to this when C was born and we really liked it, so we added it into our usual dinner rotation.

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole:

1 box Uncle Ben's Wild Rice {original recipe}
1 pkg chicken breasts {I usually get the chicken tenderloins since they are smaller and easier to cut up}
1 pkg fresh sliced mushrooms
1/2 small onion, diced
8 oz sour cream
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
Cheddar cheese, grated
Ritz crackers, crumbled

Cook rice according to package instructions. In a sauce pan, saute onions {in either vegetable oil or a little butter} for a few minutes. Add cut up pieces of chicken. I let that cook a little while and then add mushrooms and let saute until done.

Once rice is cooked, stir in sour cream and Cream of Mushroom soup. {You can also mix in some cheddar cheese at this point, but I really don't think it needs it, and I try to cut calories where I can.} Mix that with the chicken and mushroom mixture. Poor mixture into a 9 x 13" baking dish {or I split it into two 8 x 8" pans and freeze one}. Top with shredded cheese and Ritz crackers. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes or until bubbly. {If frozen, it cooks for about an hour.}

1 comment:

Allison & Michael Godwin said...

Thank you for remembering your food blog. This is the perfect type of recipe for us and Michael is obsessed with any and all "chicken and rice" concoctions! I am certain I will try it very soon!